The Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd strives to know Christ Jesus as the Good Shepherd of God,to grow up in Him as his disciples, and to share him with all. We are Disciples making Disciples, making Community – Growing in Christ together!

We encounter Christ in our worship, classes, Small Group studies, care of one another, and ministry to our Lake Charles community and beyond.

We embrace the Holy Scriptures as our foundation for belief practice.

We are Anglican Christians – part of the Episcopal Church and in communion with Anglican Churches throughout the world who trace their history back to the Reformation in England. Rooted in historic Anglicanism we teach faithful adherence to the Scriptures, the need for repentance,  faith in Jesus Christ and the ongoing work of the Holy Spirit.

We are a busy and active parish offering a multitude of ways to express your faith in ministry.

The congregation took root as a mission in 1884 with a diocesan missionary appointed by the bishop. After his tenure, four more priests served the mission that became Good Shepherd.  Initially, members met at the skating rink, the Parish Courthouse, the Knights of Pythias Hall, and the Masonic Hall before occupying their own frame building on Hodges Street.  Plans were soon underway to build a more substantial building, and in 1894, the Ladies Guild purchased the land on Kirkman Street where the church now stands. In 1896 the mission became a parish and  The Rev. Joseph H. Spearing became the first of sixteen rectors.  Of that number, two became bishops, the late Rt. Rev. Iverson B. Noland, eighth Bishop of Louisiana, and the Rt. Rev. John B. Lipscomb, retired Bishop of Southwest Florida.

Good Shepherd is located in the historic Charpentier District of downtown Lake Charles. A gothic-style building of light gray sandstone was built and dedicated in 1897, but the disastrous West Indian hurricane of 1918 destroyed much of that building.  Services continued temporarily at Temple Sinai while the church was rebuilt. A side wing was added to the south side of the church in 1920, and a parish hall, now Hardtner Hall, was attached to that in 1926. The tower (part of the original plans) was finally built on the northwest corner of the church in 1953, and a 1,000 pound bronze bell made by Petit-pritzen Bellmakers of Holland was installed the following year. To the east, office space, Sunday school rooms, and a gymnasium were built. More recent additions are the Chapel of the Resurrection, the columbarium and a covered portico. In 1984 the church was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Good Shepherd began the Bishop Noland Episcopal Day School in 1953 and over time acquired additional property in adjacent blocks for the school.  Beginning with a kindergarten, the school now serves children from two years old through the eight grades with future hopes of a Junior/Senior High School on recently purchased property south of Lake Charles.

Worship Schedule

Sunday Services – 8:30 am, 10:30 am 5:00 pm

Wednesday Service– 12:05 pm. Hearing augmentation devices are available from the ushers upon request.

Sunday (nursery provided)
8:30 Holy Communion – Rite 1 limited music – 715 Kirkman Street – Church of the Good Shepherd
Breakfast served September through May-9:30 a.m.

10:30 Holy Communion – Rite 2 -715 Kirkman Street – Church of the Good Shepherd

9:30 Adult Christian Education

10:30 Children’s Sunday School

5:00 pm: Holy Communion – Rite 2 – 715 Kirkman Street – Church of the Good Shepherd

8:00 EDS Morning Prayer -715 Kirkman Street – Church of the Good Shepherd

Noon: Holy communion with prayers for healing – Chapel -715 Kirkman Street – Church of the Good Shepherd

2:00 EDS Holy Eucharist -715 Kirkman Street – Church of the Good Shepherd